We often hear the term ‘immune support’ thrown around as if it’s a quick fix. But the truth is, supporting your immune system is about consistent healthy habits, and an integrated approach. We’ve partnered with Hilma — the immune support experts — to showcase how important it is to get essential nutrients through diet and supplements to support your immune system.
Hilma is on a mission to upgrade your medicine cabinet with natural remedies, backed by science. Their products are a new way to get back on your feet — made with powerful plants and minerals, formulated with doctors, and free from dyes, fillers, and <1g sugar. At Splendid Spoon, we also fully support the idea that plants are pivotal in keeping you healthy and happy. The fridge is the new medicine cabinet!
Supporting your immune system is all about consistent healthy habits.
Wondering how to get started? Try to incorporate nutrient-rich foods and ingredients into your regular diet. A little vitamin C goes a long way! According to, Dr. Paul Grewal, Hilma scientific advisor and author of NYT best-seller Genius Foods, “Dietary antioxidants, like those found in colorful fruits and veggies, can neutralize damaging free radicals in the intestine under certain conditions.”
Splendid's Wellness Shots are straight from Mother Nature's medicine cabinet, and ready to defend when you are feeling under the weather or just low in energy! Add them to your order today. Powered by plants, our Wellness Shot ingredients include:
- Ginger: A natural cure all, ginger boosts your immune system, fights inflammation, relieves nausea, aids in digestion and improves brain function.
- Oregano Extract: Rich in bacteria and inflammation-fighting compounds, oregano extract is a powerful, antioxidant-rich herb.
- Organic, Cold-Pressed Orange Juice: Nature's best anti-inflammatory, full of vitamin C it provides potent antioxidants that may help to reduce the severity and duration of cold symptoms.
- Organic, Cold-Pressed Lemon Juice: Known as a detoxifier, lemon juice provides antioxidants and citric acid which promotes natural detoxification processes of the liver.
Check out this blog from Splendid Spoon’s registered dietitian partner, Eliza Savage, for more on our Wellness Shot offering!
Here are some easy, immune-boosting tips to add to your routine today!
1) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
“Dehydration and lack of adequate nutrient-dense foods can prevent your immune system from operating at an optimal state, ultimately making your body more susceptible to illness. Prioritizing an unprocessed diet, and making sure to eat lots of fruits and vegetables will help support your system.” - Dr. Paul Grewal, Hilma scientific advisor and author of NYT best-seller Genius Foods.
2) Eat more plants
Those who eat more fruits and vegetables have better health outcomes, including a decreased risk of chronic diseases, lower risk of cancer, and longer life expectancies. “Plants give your body what it needs to help fight off infection,” says Andrea Murray, MD Anderson health education specialist. “A plant-based diet strengthens your immune system to protect you against germs and microorganisms.” Studies also connect eating more carrots to a decreased risk of breast cancer, kale to better blood sugar control, and berries to lower risks of heart attacks.
Interested in making the switch to plant-based eating? Here are 5 ways your body changes (for the better!) on a plant-based diet.
3) Supplement naturally
“Supplements are often needed to supplement what we don’t get from our diet--we often need a little extra support by way of nutrients and herbs that can help us adjust to, cope with, and buffer against infection and inflammation.” - Dr. Aviva Romm, Hilma scientific advisor and Yale-trained MD and herbalist
4) Focus on these ingredients
- Vitamin C provides immune support and an energy boost.* Our Vitamin C is from a whole food source –the Camu Camu berry–which has one of the highest Vitamin C contents in the world. Vitamin C acts as a cofactor for a number of enzymes and metabolic reactions in the body that are responsible for maintaining health and wellness.*
- Echinacea supports the immune system.* Echinacea has been shown to stimulate macrophages (a type of white blood cell) and other cells of the innate immune system. Macrophages are important for immune support because they are part of the body's defense system, fighting against microbes in the body.*
- Zinc supports the immune system.* Zinc is an essential mineral that has been found to support immune health through a number of preclinical and clinical studies.*
- Ginger supports the immune and respiratory systems.* Clinical research shows that Ginger benefits the immune and respiratory systems.*
- Turmeric supports the immune and respiratory systems.* Clinical and preclinical studies have shown Turmeric to support the immune and respiratory systems.*
- Ivy Leaf Extract soothes the throat and supports respiratory health.* Ivy Leaf Extract has been clinically shown to help soothe the throat and support respiratory health.*
Check out Hilma’s all-natural remedy: You deserve better a immune support, so they made one! Each packet of immune support contains: Clinically proven Zinc, Vitamin C (Camu Camu), Echinacea, Ginger, Turmeric, Ivy Extract, Monk Fruit, Natural Lemon & Ginger Flavors, Citric Acid, Guar Gum.
Diet is such an important part of your immunity-boosting routine — and doesn’t have to be difficult! Add more plants to your diet today to feel healthier, happier and naturally supported.
Questions? Email us at [email protected].