Our Commitments are as follows:
1. OUR PEOPLE INITIATIVES
- We have scrutinized our recruiting process and made changes to build a more structured and equitable hiring process. We implemented an ATS that allows us to reduce bias in the interview process & track pipeline metrics to ensure we’re attracting candidates from diverse backgrounds.
- We implemented a sourcing strategy to build a more diverse hiring pipeline for roles that are Director level & beyond; as well as partnered with Diversity job boards for other open roles
- Implemented Internal Job Levels to support equitable people practices internally
- Updated our parental leave policy to be more generous & inclusive
- Continued our partnership with the Perception Institute to deliver our annual anti-bias training. We will continue to hold annual anti-bias training for the team.
- Our Inclusion & Belonging Committee executed 7 events in 2022 that focused on bringing thought leaders & other types of programming into our space to educate ourselves in the areas of fair growing practices, food justice, and intersectionality (Black veganism, Queering veganism)
How we identify:
As of 01/01/2023
* Data self-reported at time of hire
- Making diversity, equity, and inclusion core design principles when building people practices:
- Growing & supporting diversity at every level with initiatives to support internal mobility for underrepresented groups
- Updating our new hire onboarding to ensure all new hires are supported once they join Splendid Spoon, and our commitment and approach to building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace are apart of the onboarding process
- Continued iteration on structured interview process & training
- Our Inclusion & Belonging Committee will continue in 2023 to execute internal events that promote a more inclusive wellness space
2. OUR COMMITMENT TO OUR COMMUNITY: ENSURING EVERYONE HAS A SEAT AT THE TABLE
- We continued to work with our in-house dietitian Kim Rose. In 2022, we began working with Johane Filemon, MS, RDN, CLT to help educate our consumers on nutrition and functional health, and to validate and develop our meals with our Food Innovation team.
- We have continued to work with Black and Brown creators and models.
- We’re prioritizing representation of underrepresented voices and cultures in all content. We commit to diversity of race, as well as size, gender, and ability in not only just photoshoots, but all content, storytelling, influencers, and creator partnerships. We shot with multiple male models in 2022, and are committed to working with models and creators of all gender representations in 2023 & beyond.
3. OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSIFYING VOICES IN FOOD & NUTRITION
- In 2021, we partnered with Chinese-American Chef Diana Kuan to create our Dan Dan Noodles dish!
- In 2022, we realized we had the opportunity to expand the definition, reach, and impact of our Chef Collective program to encompass so much more than just working with one chef to create one new meal concept, a few of the highlights from this expanded program are below:
- We renamed Chef Collective to the Makers & Growers Collective allowing for more opportunities to partner through various channels, like ingredient sourcing, content, and education.
- Makers & Growers Collective Mission: We are committed to working with makers and growers from all walks of life to highlight & amplify diverse voices in food. We aim to spotlight global flavors and traditional recipes – while highlighting unique and new ingredients – uplift chefs and makers across the food space, and shed light on sustainable and equitable sourcing practices.
- Identified 3 ways we can create partnerships: Content Features, Ingredient Partnerships, and Recipe Development
- When sourcing ingredients we will prioritize working with makers that have meaningful stories that are aligned with our brand and that we think our customers can connect with
- Specifically focusing on women minority owned business and mission statements that focus on equitable practices or sustainable practices
- 2023 Partnerships we are excited to highlight: SIMPLi, Afia, Matriark, and more!
4. OUR COMMITMENT TO IMPROVING FOOD ACCESS
- In 2021, we partnered with Claim Our Space Now, a collective focused on educating, unionizing and mobilizing against white supremacy, and will support their second Annual Pride event, Rally for Freedom: Pride for All Black Lives. We donated $6,000 to their grassroots fund, Project FROM, which focuses on food security among other initiatives for Black and Brown communities.
- We will continue to examine long-term strategies within our own business to make our product offerings more accessible to all.
- In 2022, we made donations for Giving Tuesday to: Experience Camps, the Center for Reproductive Rights, & Angels Foster Family Network, as nominated by our customers.
- We also made additional donations throughout the year to TransGenerational Farm, Queer Food Foundation, FIG, Okra Project, and World Central Kitchen in support of those fleeing the conflict in Ukraine.
- We are reallocating this budget in 2023 to be split between food donations as well as monetary donations
- We are identifying current partners of our fulfillment centers that we can leverage with to make these food donations, with a goal to minimize and eliminate food waste.
- We have begun working with Feeding America to identify new partners to donate to!
Questions? Please email us at [email protected]