As a mom, feeding my family is always on my mind. This is true more now than ever as I share space with my parents, my husband, my 5 and 7 year olds Caleb and Grover, and our newborn, Charlotte. Someone is always hungry! I have every intention of feeding my family with clean, mostly plant-based meals, yet it’s easy to slip into not-great habits with various snacks and takeout leftovers at the ready. I am fully addicted to a good Splendid Spoon meal hack to shortcut my way to a healthier household, so I wanted to share some of my favorites with you.
Here are some of my favorite, super easy meal hacks that stretch a Splendid Spoon meal into at least 2 (in most cases I get 4 meals out of these recipes, but it depends on the appetite of your family), and all have passed the test of three generations of hungry family members: my husband, my kids, and my parents! Most of these have animal proteins because everyone in my family is omnivore, but you can easily swap the animal proteins for things like marinated tofu, seared tempeh or a favorite veggie burger.
If you’re feeling French Rustic, grab Butternut Ratatouille plus:
- Arugula dressed in lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt
- Protein of choice (I like seared salmon)
- Scoop of mashed potatoes
- Dollop of yogurt
Plant-based Mediterranean, go for Black Eyed Pea & Tomato Stew plus:
- 1/2 cup of pearl couscous while the stew is simmering
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with hot pepper flakes
Gut and Immunity boost, go for Lentil & Kale plus:
- Shredded chicken
- ¼ cup wild rice
- Garnish with kimchi
Need a plant-based cardio boost? reach for the Masala Khichri and load with:
- ½ cup Jasmine rice
Healthy Sweet tooth - AB&J and Dragon Fruit swirl
- Blend half an avocado with half Dragon Fruit Berry smoothie to make it really thick
- Swirl with half AB&J smoothie
- Top with fave berries and nuts and seeds
Black Eyed Pea & Tomato Stew meets Gnocchi
Courtesy of our friend Gracie Gordon @Hungry.Blonde
1. Splendid Spoon Black Eyed Pea & Tomato Stew
2. Trader Joe’s Cauliflower Gnocchi
Upgrade your mashed potatoes with Green Split Pea Soup Gravy
From Maddie Miles over at @themaddiemiles
What you’ll need:
1. Splendid Spoon Green Split Pea Soup
2. 1 C Water
3. 1-2 potatoes (we suggest Russets or Yukon Golds)
4. Salt and Pepper
Optional: Olive oil and garlic or garlic powder
Taco Tuesday Goals
1. Splendid Spoon Brown Rice Taco Bowl
3. Fill lettuce with rice bowl and eat!
Or create Stuffed Peppers for another Tex-Mex treat!
This delicious dish was created by @ayman_and_nada
1. Add your favorite tomato sauce to an oven safe dish
2. Cut two bell peppers lengthwise and place at bottom of pan over sauce
3. Fill each bell pepper with Splendid Spoon Brown Rice Taco Bowl
4. Top with more tomato sauce and place in over at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
5. *Optional* Add shredded cheese and bake for 4 more minutes (skip step to keep meal completely vegan)
6. Top with sliced avocado, lemon juice, and chopped cilantro
For when you have those Crunch Wrap cravings...
@jaiomari leveled up our Black Bean & Plantain Grain Bowl
1. Heat up Splendid Spoon Black Bean & Plantain Grain Bowl in a pan
2. Take two tortillas and cut one into a small circle.
3. Then, with the larger tortilla, I sprinkled cheddar cheese and then the rice bowl and cover it with the smaller tortilla
4. Bend all the corners and fry both sides of the crunch wrap
Make the most of your Splendid deliveries with these simple, delicious meal hacks. Want to try these meals? Get started now!
Questions? Email [email protected]