An approachable method to intermittent fasting, meatless Monday, or just giving your body a break from processed foods. From our registered dietitian, Emma Hulse.
What is Intermittent Fasting?
Intermittent fasting is an eating sequence that cycles between 1) eating sensibly and 2) eating low-calorie foods or nothing. (Note that intermittent fasting is not a cycle of binging and fasting, which is disruptive to your health.) Fasting days can be 1 or 2 days a week, or just an extension of the times you may already be fasting, such as after waking. At Splendid Spoon, we believe that one day a week of low-calorie fasting is a pattern that’s easy to maintain.
The Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
Research indicates that intermittent fasting has a variety of health benefits. These are a result of putting
the body through stressful periods of deprivation. Exposing cells to stress has been associated with the
cells’ and body’s ability to better handle stress in the future.
Similarly, high intensity exercise puts stress on the muscular and cardiovascular system, which, when followed by a period of recovery, leads to increased strength. Intermittent fasting is a similar concept.
Although some studies illustrate health benefits on a biological level, such as reducing inflammation and insulin resistance, and increasing brain hormones, the core strength of adhering to an intermittent fasting routine lies in the overall reduction of calorie intake. Simply put: days of fasting result in eating fewer calories overall. Combining the Soup Reset with our breakfasts and lunches makes it simple to start and maintain an intermittent fasting program.
The Benefits of 1 Plant-based day a week (AKA Meatless Monday)
One full day of plant-based eating per week has been shown to reduce your carbon footprint and improve overall health . Behavioral campaigns like Meatless Monday are designed to empower individuals to skip meat one day a week for a healthier body and planet. Our Soup Reset is one easy way to recommit to a plant-based eating pattern as often as you’d like.
The Benefits of Giving your Body a Break from Processed Foods
The Soup Reset provides a return to a place of balance. At Splendid Spoon, we believe the definition of
“healthy” includes enjoying birthday cake and champagne, and it also means opting for veggies instead of
processed foods at a certain point. Healthy can be both of these things, and the occasional reset can help
us get there.
We don’t believe in restricting ourselves, but we do believe in making real, wholesome meals just as easy as the not-so-great stuff. Taking time to reset is not about weight or how your body looks. It’s about letting us guide you through the day so you don’t have to negotiate between granola bars and takeout. It’s about improving your relationship with food so that you feel proud of what you are putting in your body.
Why is a Soup Reset Best?
- Splendid Spoon meals are a great way to prevent spikes in blood sugar on a reset day. Our meals are low in sugar, and high in fiber (the average sippable soup contains 7 grams of fiber) to make you feel fuller.
- You’ll get your gut back in shape. Plant-based whole foods make a better environment for lots of different 'good' bacteria to flourish and allowing 'bad' bacteria to be released.
- Increase nutrient absorption. Fibrous veggies in soups are broken down in the cooking process, making the insoluble fiber a little softer and easier to pass through your system, and some of those plant fibers are also probiotics which feed that good bacteria, in turn making your digestive system more efficient at expelling waste.
- Stay on track with healthy habits. Eating more fruits and vegetables every day is one of the simplest ways to strengthen immunity and prevent disease. Regular resets make sure you stay aligned with your veggie goals.
Doing the Reset Day
1 Day: 4 Sippables + 1 Soup: Begin with your meditation and water + lemon. Only one caffeinated
coffee or tea today! Allow 2 hours between each meal. During breaks, have 2 cups of herbal tea or
1) Start: Energize with complex carbs + healthy fats.
- Cauliflower Coconut
- Celery Plant
- Parsnip Apple
2 & 3) Sustain: Heal and hydrate throughout the day.
- Beet Balsamic Bisque
- Butternut Turmeric
- Carrot Turmeric Elixir
- Pumpkin Pear Hempseed
4) Dinner: Slow down and Spoon a heartier plant-based Soup.
5) Nightcap: Prepare body for rest.
- Fennel Consommé
- Vegan Bone Broth
Avoid alcohol. Opt for a lighter workout. This is a day to be kind to yourself!
If you’re feeling hungry, fatigued, or headache-y on the Reset Day, tune in to your body. If you need more sustenance, do it, and don’t forget to hydrate! Our go-to snacks are raw fruits or veggies with nut butter, or a handful of nuts and seeds.