As a plant-based meal company, we care deeply about our environmental footprint. We’re proud to say that our packaging is 100% recyclable.
How to recycle
Unpack and store
- Unpack & put meals in the fridge or freezer. (Look for the smoothies under the ClimaCell™ shelf.)
- Be careful not to touch the dry ice. (It’s freezing — literally!)
Break down packaging
- Let dry ice evaporate in a well-ventilated area away from children and pets.
- Break down the box and add it and other packaging to your recycling bin, or take to your local recycling facility. (It’s all 100% recyclable!)
Enjoy meals &
- Add rinsed & empty bottles & bowls to your recycling bin, or take to your local recycling facility.
- The plastic we use is BPA-free.
- Smoothie bottles & lids are #1 PET plastic.
- Bowls are #5 PP plastic, & bowl lid is #4 LDEP plastic.
There are huge environmental benefits to eating Splendid Spoon meals. Enjoying just one plant-based meal a week reduces greenhouse gases equivalent to those produced by driving 1,160 miles. Our streamlined supply chain and freezer-friendly meals help reduce the billions of pounds of methane-emitting food waste in landfills. In fact, cooking and sending Splendid meals directly to your door is more environmentally efficient than buying the same meal at the grocery store. What's more — If you don’t eat your Splendid meals right away you can extend their shelf life by storing them in the freezer.
But what about all that packaging? We hear you. We are committed to the environment and lessening our waste. We won't stop innovating until we are 100% sustainable, and we’re making big strides.
Since 2015, we’ve removed all non-recyclable waste from our boxes while reducing our transit carbon emissions by 80%. And now we can proudly say our packaging is 100% recyclable. Enjoying your Splendid delivery is more sustainable than ever! Less mess and less waste.
Thank you for your partnership
— The Splendid Spoon team
How far we’ve come
Replaced gel packs with dry ice to reduce recyclable waste by more than 800,000 pounds, which is the same amount of CO2 sequestered by 368 acres of forest in a year.
Reduced CO2e, or carbon dioxide equivalent, emissions by 70,000 pounds when we opened a new distribution center in Oklahoma City.
Switched to recyclable ClimaCell™ insulation, which removed 450,000 pounds of non-recyclable insulation from landfills.