Black Eyed Pea & Tomato Stew
Recipe serves approximately 4-16 oz portions
Ingredients for 4 Servings:
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 medium Onion, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 3/4 cup Tomato Puree
- 3/4 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Black Eye Peas, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups Water
- 1/4 cup Fennel, diced (1/4" pieces)
- 1 tablespoon Dill, chopped
- A pinch of Sea Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/16 teaspoon Dried Rosemary (adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper (adjust to taste)
Procedure for 4 Servings:
- In a large pot, turn on the heat and allow it to warm.
- Add the olive oil and diced onions. Saute for about 5-10 minutes until the onions become golden.
- Stir in the tomato puree and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add lemon juice and spices. Mix well.
- Add about 3/4 cup of the cooked black-eyed peas with their cooking liquid and 1 1/2 cups of water. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in the fennel and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Puree about 1/4 of the soup until it's chopped, then return it to the pot.
- Check the temperature (should be above 185°F or 85°C).
- Begin to serve the soup into bowls and add the remaining black-eyed peas. This ensures equal distribution of beans in each serving.
Cooking the Black-Eyed Peas:
- 1 cup dried Black-Eyed Peas
- 4 cups water
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Rinse the black-eyed peas.
- Soak them overnight or for at least 4-6 hours if desired.
- Drain and rinse the soaked peas.
- Place the peas in a pot with 4 cups of water. Add a bay leaf if you like. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook for about 45 minutes to 1 hour until they're tender but not mushy.
- Drain excess water, remove the bay leaf, and add the cooked black-eyed peas to Black Eyed Pea & Tomato Stew.